Baby, it’s Cold Outside…….and that cold can wreak havoc on your hair, big time! The cool air, chilly winds, snow and even those sunny winter days can leave your hair dull, brittle and prone to some much-unwanted damage. Not to mention with winter comes annoying static and the dreadful hat hair!
Fear not! I am going to share with you some simple tips to save you from having a season of bad hair days.
Table of Contents
How to take care of hair in winter naturally
Hydrate! – Choosing a Shampoo
Come winter it is important to choose a hydrating shampoo. This will not only help keep static at bay but will also work to add much need moisture to your hair. The right shampoo can make all the difference, think of it as the foundation, the shampoo you use will determine the way your hair is going to react to the conditioner and styling products you use next as well impact how your hair will behave in all kinds of climates and weather conditions.
Moisturize! – Choosing a Conditioner
When it comes to choosing a hair conditioner you want to keep your hair type in mind but you also want to make sure you get the much needed moisture that winter is going to suck from your strands! A thick, moisturizing conditioner is a must have when winter strikes. Look for conditioners which contain essential fatty acids and humectants to help seal in moisture.
Sporting some major dry, damaged hair? Get your hands on a deep repair treatment such as Macadamia Deep Repair Masque and leave on hair for at least 30 mins once per week. This yummy (smells soooo good) hair mask leaves hair super shiny and works to restore and repair from the inside out.
Style & Protect – at the Same Time!
Choosing a styling product that doubles as a protectant saves you both time and money. It also keeps you from weighing hair down with the use of too much product. In the wintertime, you want to choose a product that is going to nourish, protect and keep hair static and frizz free.
Again, depending on your hair type, you want to choose a product that will deliver the results be it curly, straight, thick or fine hair. A smoothing lotion is an excellent choice for hair that needs a little help being tamed. Look for a Humidity-resistant formula to fend off frizz and flyaways. Alcove Smoothing Lotion is a great one rich in antioxidants and it provides nourishment, hydration and protection.
Products containing ingredients such as Argan Oil or Macadamia Oil are also fabulous for adding nourishment and leaving hair super shiny and soft.
Hair Tools – Choose Wisely
The hair tools you use, not only during winter but throughout all seasons have a major impact on your hairs health. Now, our main focus here is winter hair care, so I will just quickly point out, investing in a Professional Flat Iron or Hair Dryer is totally worth it! You don’t have to break the bank to get your hands on professional hair tools, but do a bit of research beforehand to make sure the tools you do choose include important features such as tourmaline, ceramic and ionic technology. As a matter of fact, my next post will be all about choosing the best hair tools so be sure to keep an eye out 🙂
Ok, come winter, the heated hairstyling tools you use can make a huge difference! A flat iron, hair dryer and/or curling iron which features ionic and tourmaline technology help to seal in moisture as well as reduce static, frizz and annoying flyaway’s.
NEVER leave the house with wet hair in the winter! Wet hair can actually freeze and this can cause major breakage as well leave hair very brittle and dry. You also want to limit your time under the hair dryer so use a towel to blot out as much water as possible and allow hair to air dry when you can. The main reason is during the cold months we spend a lot more time inside with indoor heating, which is like spending the afternoon under your hair dryer!
Winter Hair Care – Quick Tips & Tricks
1. Avoid Hat Hair by putting long hair up into a high pony or bun, and push short hair straight back or secure the front sections into 3 or 4 small bumps (think mini retro rolls) using bobby pins, before putting your hat on then remove pony/bun/rolls when you take your hat off and shake hair out and style with fingers. This helps keep hair from falling flat and losing body.
2. For a quick fix on static that just won’t stop, lightly rub a dryer sheet over hair. Keep a few squares cut in half, in your purse so that they are always handy.
3. Avoid crunchy curls by using a cream-based styling aid and drying hair completely using a diffuser attachment on your hair dryer.
4. Use olive oil as a quick fix on dry hair. Rub a few drops into your hands then starting at the ends of your hair, run fingers throughout. Hand cream also works well in a pinch and can help tame unexpected frizz and flyaway’s
5. Dandruff can be a major issue for some in the cold winter months. Fight it off using a shampoo formulated for dandruff. Once the problem is solved, keep it at bay by using it once per week in between your regular shampoo.
6. Protect your hair against the wind, which can cause major tangles leading to breakage by wearing a hat or securing hair in an updo when outside. A leave-in conditioner is also great for fighting tangles, wind or no wind.
So, let’s start today. Hope, this post about how to take care of hair in winter naturally helps!