Using clippers to cut your own long hair is a daring decision but can leave you looking funky with a bold, unforgettable style that will definitely turn heads. You should not consider using clippers to cut your hair if you do not have any experience in cutting hair, but instead, go to the salon and get a professional to do it for you. However, if you are confident with clippers and have some haircutting experience then cut away!
How to Cut Long Hair with Clippers
You should be extremely careful when using clippers to cut your own hair. Starting with your fringe rather than your whole head is a good idea, especially when you’re still learning how to handle your clippers. Your fringe is easier to cut with clippers because you can see them in the mirror, and once you’re more confident with the clippers you can tackle the rest of your hair.
The first thing you should do is separate your hair into even sections. Do this by parting it vertically down the middle as well as horizontally halfway down the back of your hair. Clip the top two halves up and out of the way but leave the bottom two sections down. This is where you will use the clippers to cut the hair. One of our articles about the best cordless hair clippers will help you to choose the right clipper in this purpose.
The second step is to hold the clippers lightly. You should use clipper combs as these are recommended rather than using straight clippers. This makes using the clippers much easier and safer. If you do choose to use the clippers without the combs you must make sure it’s clean and sharp in order to stop any damage from occurring. Remember that less is more. You can always cut more hair, but you can never go back if you cut too much. Work slowly and deliberately so you can achieve the desired effect and style you want.
Using a fine-toothed comb pulls the sectioned hair to a 45-degree angle and move the razor across the hair in a choppy, short motion at the ends of the hair. This should remain at a 45-degree angle for that staggered, choppy look. You should move the comb along with your fingers as you work toward the tips of your hair.
Continue doing this through the hair at the back of your head. For shorter hair, you could consider layering the pieces at the top of the head. But this should be covered with more un-clipped hair. This increases the volume at the crown of your head.
Use the same process on the sides and bangs, and the bits that were clipped back. For the best look, try not to texturize all of the hair, just pieces. Do this by holding and applying the clipper lightly when cutting across the hair. Continue with this until you achieve the desired effect you wanted.
Using a razor is a great idea for a more angled finish rather than the blunt ends you might receive from hairdressing scissors. One difference between the two is that the hairstyles completed with clippers will give a tapered end rather than the chunkier look from scissors. Clippers also give the hair more swing as well as movement in the length of the hair.
Some things you should be aware of before using clippers to cut your hair:
- Using clippers on your hair can cause a very odd sensation. It is almost like you can feel the haircut. It doesn’t hurt, obviously, but when using clippers, they cut directly across the hair shafts which causes a slight tugging feeling as well as a slicing sound.
- Straight, short, and thick hair is the best type of hair for using clippers and designing these kinds of styles. This is because you will end up with a style which is flicky and flirty instead of the heavy, limp look you might get if you use hairdressing scissors. Using clippers is also a good idea for your fringe and stops it from looking weighed down and heavy. If you have wavy or curly hair you can also benefit from using clippers as it will thin your hair and make it much easier to add natural texture.
- Using clippers on fine, thin hair can cause a problem as the clippers tend to make fine hair look droopy and sometimes frizzy for curly and wavy hair. Longer layers are the best option for the textures that come from using a clipper.
- Thicker hair is perfect for the clipper technique as the clippers will remove much of the bulk of your hair. It will make your style much lighter and give you much more movement. This is helpful during the hotter months.
- Straight hair is also good for the clipper technique as your style will appear more polished and much more interesting instead of the boring and dull straight style. Using clippers will give your straight hair a cool, edgy look.
- The length of hair is not really an issue when it comes to using clippers. However, it is recommended that if you have long hair you shouldn’t do a razor cut all over but use them here and there over your hair to add texture. If you do use the clippers all over, even straight, thick hair will look unkept and scraggly.