As a man who sports a beard, I find stubbles to be a really hectic job. While growing a beard only requires letting it grow until it gets thick enough (for some men, this can be a really difficult, if not impossible, feat), making a stubble is an entirely different issue.
Fortunately, I was able to make a stubble quickly and easily, and it’s all thanks to a stubble trimmer I’m currently using. If you want to get a stubble like me, I would recommend using only the best stubble trimmer there is. To help you with that, here are my reviews of the best trimmers for stubble in the market.
Table of Contents
- Best Stubble Trimmer 2019 Reviews
- Picking the Best Stubble Trimmers – Things to Be Considered
- Explaining a Stubble Beard Neckline
- Stubble Trimming Techniques and Tips
- Final Words
Best Stubble Trimmer 2019 Reviews
1. Philips Norelco OneBlade
It’s no secret that Philips Norelco is one of the finest manufacturers of clippers on the market. The OneBlade, in particular, is a hybrid between a shaver and an electric trimmer. With two grooming options combined into one, you can surely make the most of the OneBlade when it comes to grooming and achieving a stubble.
Feature-wise, the Norelco OneBlade comes with a unique shaving technology which incorporates a quick moving cutter and a dual protection system to help you achieve an efficient and comfortable shave. It doesn’t shave too close, allowing your skin to remain comfortable.
It also comes with a contour following feature which allows it to your face’s contours to make sure that you can properly shave your beard. One of the things I like about this is that I no longer need to adjust my head every now and then since the OneBlade will be the one to do the adjustment for me.
Integrated into the trimmer is a rechargeable NimH battery which allows you to enjoy 45 minutes of continuous grooming in just 8 hours of charging. Also, the trimmer is water-resistant, so you can easily clean it by rinsing it in tap water.
Overall, it’s a really durable option which even comes with an easy and hassle-free replacement procedure.
2. Philips Norelco Multi Groomer
As the name implies, the Multi Groomer is designed for all grooming purposes. For a really affordable price, you can get a full-size steelhead along with an ear and nose trimmer. Aside from that, it also comes with self-sharpening blades to ensure a full sharp anytime you use it.
Integrated is Philips Norelco’s own DualCut technology which features 2x more self-sharpening blades to ensure that they can still remain as sharp as ever even after 2 years of regular use. Also, the trimmer doesn’t need oil to use. You just have to remove the guards and blades, rinse them, then reattach.
Included in the package are 13 different pieces to cater to your grooming needs. There’s even a travel bag to let you carry your grooming essentials everywhere you go. Powering the trimmer is a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery which provides one hour of continuous runtime in just a few hours of charging.
Needless to say, the Multi Groomer is a favorite among men looking for a high quality trimmer. If you’re looking to achieve the perfect stubble at a really affordable price, this should be included in your options.
3. Philips Norelco – best stubble trimmer for sensitive skin
Another quality Philips Norelco product in our list, the Bodygroomer is one of the best trimmers on the market for a number of reasons. It comes with a revolutionary and ergonomic design to let you achieve a perfect stubble while remaining highly convenient and easy to use.
The trimmer features a 3D pivoting head which efficiently follows your face and body’s shape, allowing you to get a more accurate trim. Its rounded blades make sure that there won’t be any nicks and cuts on your skin, and its five length settings can cater to facial hair of all lengths and textures.
Additionally, it is cordless and water-resistant. This only means that you can get a quick trim even while taking a shower. That aside, its power and durability allow you to use it for trimming hair all around your body. Its built-in battery provides you with 50 minutes of continuous use. It even comes with a LED battery indicator so you can know its charging status.
All in all, the Bodygroomer is certainly one of the best trimmers on the market, especially when it comes to achieving a perfect stubble.
4. ConairMAN Flexhead Trimmer
This high-end trimming tool is an ideal option if you want to get that stubble you’re looking for. It comes with a number of options and features which you’ll surely love. Basically, it’s got everything you could ever need in a trimmer, especially when it comes to getting that precision trim.
One of the noteworthy features of the ConairMAN trimmer is its flexible head. It basically glides around the contours of your face to make for an efficient and faster trim. Also, the blades are durable and self-sharpening to provide you with a long-lasting sharpness for years. Its ergonomic design also makes handling easier.
Needless to say, I really like its ultra-flexible shaving head. With this, I was able to achieve perfect stubble with just a few minutes of shaving. Aside from that, it’s really versatile since I can also use it for trimming around my neck, sideburns, and even mustache.
Included in the package is a flip back guide comb, razor-sharp blades, and a rechargeable Lithium-ion battery which lets you achieve one hour of continuous runtime with just a few hours of charging.
All in all, the Flexhead is a reliable trimmer which lets you get a perfect stubble. It’s waterproof so you can use it while taking a shower, it has self-sharpening blades for a long-lasting sharpness with each use, and its flexible head allows for easy trimming.
5. Panasonic Milano All-in-One Trimmer
The Milano is an award-winning trimmer that comes with a number of excellent features. Though it’s a bit costlier compared to the other products on this list, you can surely rely on its durability, effectiveness, and power especially when it comes to achieving a perfect stubble.
It features 45-degree stainless steel blades which are capable of trimming hair and beard, regardless of the length and texture. It also comes with 19 precision settings to make for an efficient trim. This will allow you to have an exact trim for a clean stubble with every shave.
Additionally, the Milano trimmer is very lightweight and durable. It’s capable of providing you with 50 minutes of continuous usage in just a few hours of charging. It’s also waterproof, so you can use it to trim your beard anytime you use the shower. One of the things I like about this is that you can use it in both wet and dry conditions. It only means that you can shave your beard even when traveling.
Included in the package are a charging stand, a cleaning brush, and a beard and mustache trimmer. Overall, it’s a really good choice despite its high price tag.
6. Philips Norelco 3500 Beard Trimmer
The fourth product from Philips Norelco on this list, the 3500 trimmer is an exceptional product that lets you achieve a perfect stubble without breaking your budget. It comes with a Lithium-ion battery to provide you with a continuous trimming action.
Although it sports a simple design despite its price, it is by no means simple. It features self-sharpening blades made of titanium which can effectively trim your hair without the scraping and tugging.
What I like about it is that there are 20 different settings to let you cut the exact hair length with ease along with a locking feature. Another interesting thing is that you can fully customize your experience without the need to worry about a lot of attachments.
The rechargeable Lithium-ion battery that’s built into the trimmer is capable of delivering you an impressive 2 hours of continuous runtime with just one hour of charging! This is actually a cut above the rest, considering that most cordless trimmers out there will require around 10 hours to charge just for an hour of usage.
7. Remington MB4040 Rechargeable Mustache Beard and Stubble Trimmer
The MB4040 from Remington is an excellent combination of versatility, power, and durability. Although it’s meant for shaving your beard, it’s also ideal for achieving a perfect stubble as well as trimming your mustache.
It features titanium-coated blades with superior performance to let you achieve that smooth cut along with interchangeable heads to customize your stubble. They’re also self-sharpening, so you can rely on their cutting precision for a long time. On the other hand, it’s extremely versatile, thus allowing you to use it not just for shaving your beard but for all hair all over your body.
Aside from that, it also features nine length settings so you can achieve your desired cut and style. Powering the trimmer is a Lithium-ion battery that offers two hours of continuous runtime. With this, you can take the trimmer with you anywhere you go and trim on the go.
What I really like about the MB4040 is that it’s really easy to take care of. Its heads come with a quick release option which will make cleaning and washing them a lot quicker and easier.
All in all, I’d gladly recommend this trimmer if you’re looking for a perfect stubble and a trimming tool that’s built to last for years.
Picking the Best Stubble Trimmers – Things to Be Considered
Trimmers can with a number of different features. Normally, this makes it a lot easier to find the right one for your needs. Fortunately, I’ve covered the most important factors you have to consider when shopping for a trimmer. They are the following:
1. Length settings
Ideally, you want to consider the length settings of your preferred trimmer. With a high number of length settings on a trimmer, you can easily achieve a stubble with different styles. The most preferred option is a length setting that ranges from 0.5 to 5 mm.
Regardless of your facial hair type, you have to make sure that your preferred trimmer has a powerful motor. You don’t want to turn on your trimmer only to find out that it’s lacking the power you need to get your desired stubble style. If that’s the case, you’ll end up passing through your stubble several times, making you lose a lot of your time in the process.
3. Battery life
Another important factor is a trimmer’s battery life, especially if you prefer a cordless trimmer. Since cordless trimmers allow you to trim on the go, having one run out of power due to a short battery life can be rather annoying.
Hence, when you go shopping for a cordless clipper, it’s really important to check its expected runtime as well as its total charging time. Make sure you choose one that offers around an hour, or even more, of continuous runtime while requiring only a few hours of charging.
4. Design and size
It’s important to pick a trimmer that’s designed to cater to your needs. For example, if you frequently travel, picking a lightweight, compact, and travel-friendly option is advisable. It doesn’t mean that larger ones aren’t that effective. It’s just that smaller units are way more convenient for a man on the move.
You should also consider a trimmer that features an ergonomic design, allowing you to trim your beard conveniently without the worries of the trimmer accidentally slipping off your hand.
5. Waterproof design
If you prefer trimming your beard while taking a shower, it’d be ideal to go for one that’s waterproof. This will let you get a perfect stubble without worrying about your tool getting damaged due to the water entering it. Fortunately, most of the trimmers you can find on the market have this feature.
Some trimmers include a number of different accessories or features in their package. Although you can still trim your beard without those, having them can be really convenient. For example, there are trimmers that have accessories which allow you to trim your hairs located in your nose or ears. There are also those that come with a switch to let you switch between settings.
However, you have to keep in mind not to choose a trimmer just because it comes with a lot of accessories included in its package. Although they’re nice to have as extras, they’re not that essential for you to achieve your desired stubble.
Additionally, the number and types of features will vary from one trimmer to another. As such, it all boils down to personal preference whether you an accessory or two, or don’t want any at all.
Explaining a Stubble Beard Neckline
Basically, a stubble beard is a short facial hair that usually ranges from 0.4 to 5 mm. Most men can grow their beard in this range after 3-4 days of no shaving. However, such a beard isn’t very tidy to look at considering that each hair differs in length, and some even grow on spots where they’re not supposed to.
A perfect stubble, on the other hand, is entirely different. Aside from the equal length of all hairs, it’s also neat and tidy to look at. If you still think this isn’t for you, then you might want to change your mind after knowing that a lot of women consider it really attractive to men.
A stubble isn’t just limited to one style, however. In fact, there are a number of them. Let’s take a look at the following:
- Classic stubble – this style is no doubt the easiest to achieve and maintain. All of the hairs located on the face and neck have the same length. Meanwhile, the edges aren’t shaved. To maintain this style, you just have to trim it once it grows a bit longer than usual.
- Rugged stubble – if you want to grow a longer stubble, then the rugged style is for you. To achieve this style, you just have to let the stubble grow like a short beard. After that, simply shave the neck area just below your jawline.
- Elegant stubble – the elegant style is quite hard to achieve and maintain. However, if you manage to pull this off, it can certainly turn heads. Additionally, it works on short and long hair.
- Third day stubble – this style doesn’t necessarily take you three days to achieve. However, it does involve a lot of maintenance and patience to get. To achieve this, you have to keep a short stubble then fade the neckline using a comb or length setting. As it requires a lot of patience, the end result is certainly worth it.
Stubble Trimming Techniques and Tips
After choosing the right trimmer for a stubble, it’s time to achieve that style you’ve been dreaming of. But before that, let’s first learn the following tips and techniques that can help you achieve the perfect look:
- To make a stubble, you have to grow your facial hair first. In general, a stubble can be achieved after 3-4 days without shaving. However, if you want to get a shorter stubble, even just a day or two is enough.
- After growing your hair, it’s time to decide which style you prefer. You have to keep in mind that not all stubbles are the same. There’s the 5 o’clock shadow, although there are also other styles as well. When you choose your preferred style, you have to consider the shape of your face. Don’t just think that a certain style will suit you simply because it looks good on another.
- Before you start trimming, you need to comb your beard first. This is especially true if you’ve grown your beard for around 3-4 days, or even more. To do so, you have to comb your beard in the direction of its growth so that long hairs won’t stand out from the rest. Also, you want to use a comb designed for beards to achieve a perfect result.
- When you’re done, it’s time to pick the desired length for your stubble. Although there’s no general rule regarding the appropriate length, there’s a rule of thumb saying that those with a light-colored hair can sport a longer stubble compared to those with a dark-colored hair.
- Most trimmers have different length settings, although I recommend using a longer set then adjusting it as necessary. After all, you can’t turn back if you ended with a short stubble than intended. Also, don’t go out trying different stubble styles just yet. Make sure you familiarize yourself with your trimmer as well as its settings first.
- When trimming, make sure you trim toward your chin using steady strokes. You should also consider your neck area if you want to fade your stubble into the neckline, or just shave it all together.
- Once you’re done trimming, check for any stray hairs. There might still be certain areas you might have missed.
- After you achieve your desired stubble, make sure to clean your trimmer. You can use a cleaning brush (this is often included in the package) or water if it is waterproof. By cleaning your trimmer after each use, you can make sure that it can last for a really long time.
Q: How do I get a perfect stubble?
A: To achieve a perfect stubble, you need to use a quality trimmer. The ones I reviewed above will all help you get the perfect style you’re looking for. Also, I’ve included some tips right above to let you achieve your desired results.
Q: How do I keep my stubble length?
A: You can easily keep your stubble length by shaving your hair once it grows long enough. However, the frequency will depend on how fast your facial hair will grow.
Q: Is stubble a style?
A: Yes. Stubble is a style, and it’s one of the most popular among men who grow a beard. Additionally, it comes in different styles by itself. This allows you to pick the stubble that can suit you well.
Achieving a perfect stubble isn’t easy; however, it doesn’t have to be that hard either. By simply using the best stubble trimmer on the market, you can achieve that look you’ve been dreaming of.
Fortunately, my list of the best trimmers for a stubble can help you decide which product you choose. I made sure to try them out myself before I even share them with you. The next time you go shopping for one, make sure to consider my list and my quick buying guide as well. Thanks for reading!